Jamie McGrath’s dubbele score eindigde St Mirren met 2-1.
The spectacular goal from Conor McCarthy in the standstill ended the 27 unbeaten matches of the Rangers at the start of the season and sent St Mirren to the Scottish semifinals of the League Cup against Livingston.
The hosts took the lead with a first goal from Connor Goldson after Jamie McGrath scored twice – including a free kick – before the break.
Steven Davis saw his team’s first goal in the 88th minute. In the 57th minute, McCarthy hit the post of James Tavernier’s free kick, but McCarthy converted after Allan McGregor parried Richard Tate’s headline.
St Mirren’s manager Jim Goodwin was sent on vacation for overzealous behavior in the middle of a bedroom fight, but his team won surprisingly well against their Premier League rivals.
The victory brings Paisley’s team, unbeaten in 10 games, to the semifinals for the first time since they won the trophy in 2013.
The weekend of the 23rd and 24th. In January they play Livingstone in Hampden, while St Johnstone fights for the last quarter in another game against Hibernian.
Rangers arrived in Paisley after ten consecutive home wins and Goldson gave them the lead in a dominant opening period when the center-back burst into the area and slid into the opposite corner.
Steven Gerrard’s team seemed to be doing more, but St Mirren’s only serious danger before the break came when McCarthy had to push Cedric Itten’s header across the line.
A rare outing in the Rangers’ penalty area yielded the equalizer when Calvin Bassey crossed behind Dylan Connolly and McGrath took the ball flat and straight.
The goal put St. Mirren on and they played well in the second half. Connolly’s middle rebound from the top of the bar before a nicely crafted shot gives the advantage.
Bessie – MP Borna Barisic on the left – is again a suspect because he was beaten by Connolly, who stood opposite John Obika. The striker let the ball slip and McGrath missed the challenge to cheat McGregor for his fifth goal in four games.
Bessey was then replaced by Barisi and the Rangers became more and more desperate when Ryan Kent booked a lobe in the box.
Tavernier denied the equaliser when the ball went out of play before Kemar Roofe had made a cross for the captain.
St Mirren defended brilliantly but didn’t stand a chance when Tavernier was replaced by Davies of a free kick and his volley was deflected into the net by a desperate Jack Alnwick.
It was cruel for the hosts, but they took a leap forward and were rewarded when McGregor was only able to push Tait’s header away and McCarthy slipped the rebound into the net.
- 2Reservation at 89 minutes
- 21Connolly Moved to MachPhersonin 82’minutes
- 17McGrathBay at 88mins
- 7Doyle-HayesBay at 55 minutes distance
- 25ErhahonReserved for 23Minutes
- 9ObikaReplaced by Ervinat 90+4 minutes
- 33 Jamison
- 6Gold in reserve at 88 minutes
- 26BalogunReplacement for Hagiat 84’minutesReplacement in 89 minutes
- 3BasseyReplacement byBaricat 57’minutes
- 37ArfieldSubstitution of Daviesat 57’Min.
- 15ZunguSubstitution of Kamarabei 72 minutes
- 11Replacement for 61 min. Replaced for 72 min.
- 14KentReservation at 63min.
- 16 Patterson
- Game over, St Mirren 3, Rangers 2.
- End of the second half, St Mirren 3, Rangers 2.
- Attempted rescue. James Tavernier (Rangers) shoots with his right foot from the center of the box is close but missing.
- Replacement : St. John’s Mirren. Lee Erwin is replacing Jonathan Obika.
- The attempt failed. Joe Aribo’s (Rangers) header from the middle of the box is close by, but missing in the upper right corner.
- Aim! St Mirren 3, Rangers 2. Conor McCarthy (St Mirren) shoots with his right foot from the left side of the box to the upper right corner.
- Attempted rescue. Richard Tait (St Mirren) tries a header from the middle of the box, but the shot misses the bottom right.
- Corner, St Mirren’s. Submitted by Ryan Kent.
- Corner, St Mirren’s. Prepared by James Tavernier.
- Janis Hagi (Rangers) is warned by the referee.
- Richard Tate (St Mirren) is warned by the referee.
- Connor Goldson (Rangers) is warned by the referee.
- Aim! St Mirren 2, Rangers 2. Steven Davis (Rangers) shoots with his left foot from the middle of the area to the top left corner.
- From a direct free kick James Tavernier (Rangers) hits the left post with his right foot.
- Jamie McGrath (St Mirren) is warned by the referee.
- Ryan Kent (Rangers) hits a free kick in the other half.
- Jamie McGrath (St. Mirren) is dirty.
- Jamie McGrath’s handball (St. Mirren).
- Replacement, Rangers. Janis Hagi replaces Leon Balogun.
- Replacement : St. John’s Mirren. Cameron McPherson replaces Dylan Connolly.